Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Updates for a Girl Named Amy


  • There was a girl named Amy. I used her to gain access to a boy named Toby who was a friend of her family's and with whom I was quite smitten. It was rotten of me, but the means justified the end...or the end justified the means. That was 20 years ago this past May. Twenty stinkin' years! Longer than both of our marriages combined. At least that is what she told me today, let me do the math...yes, she was right. We are thinking we might throw ourselves a party or take a cruise for our 25th anniversary.
  • FYI: My infatuation with the aforementioned fella was short-lived, but he did prove himself useful years later when by chance (or not?) he happened to be second on the scene of rollover car accident I had been in and got to be the lucky one to notify my family.
  • Two weeks ago this weekend, Amy and I had a scrapbooking weekend at her house, from Friday evening to Sunday afternoon. Our groovy husbands had all of our kids, mine at home, hers took the children and went to stay with his sister 2 hours away. Our friend Diane was able to join us for part of the time as well. It was wicked fun and just what we all needed. We relaxed, ate lots of good food, giggled like school girls, had very good conversations that included only minimal gossip, and slept in the same bed for the first time in yeeeeeeeears because she no longer snores, hallelujah! Oh, and we both got 20 pages done!
  • Let's see, what else did she want me to share...
  • Oh yes, today we met and drove down to meet baby Adam, son of Liane and Keith, for the first time. He was preciouser than his pictures and I wanted to inhale him. How quickly a mother forgets how tiny and soft and sleepy they are those first few weeks. He was dwarfed by the likes of David and his giant melon head.
  • Afterward, Amy and I stopped at a huge Salvation Army nearby where she found me the sweetest vintage hook-up ever, but sadly I didn't have $157 to purchase all the pieces, nor did she. Of course I am exaggerating, but their prices were outrageous! Anyway, it was a crispy (and I mean CRIS-PY) brand new pair of authentic, dark wash Jordache jeans, complete with creases pressed down the legs, horsehead on the coin pocket up front, little metal tag on the other front pocket, the burgundy patch on the hock pocket, and white decorative top-stitching by the yard. A pair of denhim slacks just such as these had been the object of my fixation in the 4th grade. If I could have owned a pair, even if I never wore them, the course of my life very well may have been altered and drastically. But as if that were not enough, she also found a pair of hot pink and chartreuse Kangaroo sneakers, also the love of '82-'83 school year, though I was fortunate enough to own a conservative and sneaky pair of gray ones myself back in the day. Anyway, we had yet another good laugh as we were reminded that we are both hopeless dorks, but that we both get each other's humor...among many other things.
  • Oh and this morning at 7:21 she called to see if I wanted her to pack me a lunch so we didn't have to spend money on unhealthy food out. And once on the road she offered me one of her cold water bottles so I didn't have to drink the hot one I had brought for myself. She also offered me the heel of her sandwich that she was too full to eat. I accepted the former, gratefully, but declined the latter.
  • She did tell me my van smelled like curry powder, but I love this girl called Amy and I hope we can be friends for at least another 20 years.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwww man! I love you too! You and your pimpin' mini van that smells of curry powder!
Imagine what would have been had you never loved Toby B. I shudder to think.
You can have the heel of my half eaten sandwhich any day!

ljm said...

Amy rocks! Even if she does set a high standard of two-night sleepovers.

What Salvation Army did you guys go to?

Anonymous said...

The one on John R and Auburn in Rochester. You should have joined us. I'm sure I could have found you a sweet old school hook-up as well.
Thanks, I do rock, don't I?

JJ said...

And who should I see at the WalMark store the very next day after posting this? Jack, father of Tobias. Yes, it is the truth.

Anonymous said...

What are the chances???