Saturday, July 14, 2007

Monkey Biz-nass

Okay, a new post. Yeaaaah. Let's see...

After a week and a half of being "health-conscious" I had to splurge. It is unnatural to be good all the time. All we like sheep have gone astray. I love my sweets and I need my bread. So I last night I whooped up some Monkey Bread to enjoy this morning after rising to perfection and soaking in sugar and fat all night. That would be the bread dough, not myself. Oh boy!

For any fellow fat and carb lovers, the night before you just put 15 frozen dinner rolls in a well-greased bundt pan then mix together 1 stick of melted butter, 1 cup of brown sugar, 1 teaspoon (or to taste) of cinnamon, and 1 package of regular (NOT INSTANT) butterscotch pudding mix and pour it over the rolls. Leave them to sit out and rise overnight, uncovered. Bake in the morning at 350*. This part's a little sketchy because I don't have a real recipe, it's a word-of-mouth thing. I think it ended up being around 25 minutes, but I covered them with foil part way through because the tops were getting too brown. When done, remove from oven and let them cool a couple of minutes, then invert on a large serving platter. Allow them to cool a little more, then gobble them up before the rest of your family wakes up.

I have had a good week. I just want to share that for all those who read and are accustomed to my complaining about this, that, and the other thing. I have felt good physically, I have been productive, and I am almost scared to say lest I jinx myself...(shhh, lean a little closer)...I see dead people. =) No, really, I was going to say I feel happy.

(Whoa, that was wicked personal...now I feel all exposed!)

So, I pressure washed my front porch last Friday and Saturday for about 8 hours. It is amazing that water alone can make that much difference. It could look even better with a little more skill and time, but that is as much as I have to give it for now and it was a HUGE improvement. I intend to stain the decking and have already started painting the posts, railings, and spindles white. I love it. Presently it is a very weathered-looking and shoddily applied used-to-be-white. I have also picked a rusty red color called Sly Fox to paint my front door and shutters. Presently the front door is factory primed and I have no shutters. Hooray for color and inexpensive home improvements!

Hey, mom's! An inexpensive craft to dazzle your bored children this summer: FABRIC CRAYONS. Get them. Use them. You just have them draw a picture on a regular sheet of paper with the crayons and then iron them on an item of your choosing following the directions on the package. We did pillowcases for J's birthday this week and you would have thought I brought home a Shetland pony.

Has anyone seen Ratatouille yet? We saw it for J's birthday. Loved it. Makes me only mildly less freaked out to discover some suspicious droppings under my Lazy Susan. I'd be honored to think my kitchen was being used as a training ground for an aspiring chef. =) Not really. I am thoroughly freaked out!

Hey, what do other people keep in that little short cupboard above their refrigerators? I really want to know, please share...

7 comments:

Booker said...

*I see dead people* Hahahahaa, I burst out laughing at that :-D

As for the cupboard thing, I don't put anything in it, yet anyway. I'm sure once space gets to be an issue, it will be used, but with what, I haven't a clue...

JJ said...

Thank you, DJ, I was wondering where you went.

Linds said...

I think I have a whole lotta nothing' in my little cupboard... what with never being able to see even the top of the fridge, much less the cupboard above that, I find it not practical to store things there.
The end :)

shannon said...

I always thought that everyone else kept their cereal boxes in that cupboard too. That way, if you're too short to reach it's necessary to climb on the counter.

Anonymous said...

That is where you keep the monster that only comes out when kids do bad things.

tmf

Anonymous said...

That is a very personal question, don't ya think?!? Gosh.

Daughter of Divagation said...

I sort of wish you wouldn't be so open on your blog. I mean...I would like to be able to take communion with you. After all.