Saturday, July 21, 2007

Diary of a Mouse Slayer

Oh boy!

It happened again.

In the absence of my manly protection this weekend, I was forced to rise to the occasion and defend my household.

It started out like any other day. I was painting my deck railing, enjoying the exceptionally beautiful day, keeping an ear on David sleeping in the house, while keeping a watchful eye on Kathryn as she frolicked about the yard still in her pajamas and yesterday's ponytails, when suddenly my peripheral mother eyes detected some scurrying activity in the garage.

Aware that there had been a mouse sighting as recently as a couple of weeks ago, as well as evidence of its ongoing presence, I stepped cautiously just inside the garage door expecting it to retreat into one of its many hidden fortresses. But no. No, it did not. It brazenly walked, not ran, to the general vicinity of the steps leading into the house. I would even go so far as to say it STRUTTED, and slowly. It was as if he was taunting me. I might have been able to snatch him with my bare hand if I would have gathered the courage. But I did not. Eventually he did dart from view. I quickly opened a few container's of D-Con, not that it was a quick attack resulting in immediate extermination, but I was thinking I should have put it out a couple weeks ago anyway. As an after thought, I laid out a couple of my sticky traps real strategical-like and went back to work.

I checked back a couple times and found nothing. AND THEN...I got him!

He was quite frantic and quite stuck, and I wondered what kind of sick person I was that this sight filled me with such a sense of jubilation. Probably the same kind of sick person who had the idea of setting him out in the driveway to be finished off by a creature of the sky so that she would not have to think of a more creative and successful method herself. I already had plans for my day and limited time before my boy woke up. Plus, I thought it might be sort of neat to see if the bird got stuck to the sticky trap too. But that only lasted a couple of minutes before the guilt overtook me. There was no need to torture him any further.

So I resorted to my tried and true method of mouse annihilation. I triple WalMart bagged him right up and placed him behind the wheel of Jeff's truck.

And it was finished.

Backward.

Forward.

Trash can out back.

Done.

Back to work.

The deck is all first-coated and half of it is second-coated, and I didn't see any more mice the rest of the day.

The End.

6 comments:

Daughter of Divagation said...

Egads! Say it ain't so.

ljm said...

OOh, and I was eating breakfast!

JJ said...

As my friend Rachael Ray would say, "Yum-O!" =)

Booker said...

Nice! that is all I have to say :-)

Anonymous said...

NEVER post another picture like that again! It made me throw up in my mouth.
Sick woman.
We cannot be friends anymore.
Sorry.

CKS said...

Be thankful your mouse didn't have maggots in it when you had to dispose of it. Mine did. Last Friday. Not a happy memory... (and not my fault, either!) I prefer your method any day.