Thursday, June 15, 2006

Strawberry Fields Forever

Today Amy and her children, Ella and Grant, went strawberry pickin' with me and "mines" to a local berry farm around the corner. My Mom met us there too. The pickin' turned out to be not so very bountiful, just few and far between and on the smaller side of small. We gave up after picking not even 4 pounds between both of our families and went in search of a local fresh produce market a couple towns away that was rumored to have good'nes already picked for a buck less a pound. Twenty miles and a few good conversations later, we were still out of luck as we found the market, but also found they were fresh OUT!

Doubting we had picked enough to make jam in the afternoon as planned, and determined to make the most of our precious time together, we decided to take in an Amish market I had been telling her about that happened to be nearby. They mostly sell scratch and dent groceries, but also carry a few of their handmade wares and delightful homemade confections. When we drove up we saw a sign on the door that said they had freshly picked strawberries inside for an even better price. Jackpot! Yeah, except they were sold out and so was their supplier up the road at the other Yoder farm. GOSH! Those Amish...you just can't trust 'em! Anyway, we did fill up the back of my van with groceries for only 60 dollhairs betwixt the two of us. I love that place! It is like grocery shopping at a garage sale...only a lot smellier because it is on the farm...and a lot hairier because there are a lot of bearded men who answer to the name Jonas scurrying about doing chores.

S'wanyway, when we finally made it back to my house we discovered we did have enough strawberries from the runt farm to make not one, but THREE batches of freezer jam. All said and done, we ended up with 9 half pints each. YUM!

Below are some other photos from the day...

7 comments:

JJ said...

This photo formatting totally ain't very Christian, but supper's ready and my family's waitin' and Jeff's sayin' somethin' about what did I expect I am a rookie blogger. I'll have to leave it lie for now and figure it out later!

Anonymous said...

ATTN: Diane Sommer...we missed you today! Wish you and the girls could have come...it wasn't the same without you! Stinks you work on Thursday! I have a container of jam for you!

KW said...

How did you un-bust your camera?

JJ said...

Oh, it's still all busted up...Amy brought hers along and then I loaded the photos onto my computer before she went home. I had a couple more I was going to share of the actual picking, but they won't load for some reason...must have something to do with my rookie status.

Loreo said...

Janelle, I looked at your blog on Internet Explorer, where I was actually able to see the photos. Your profile photo is too darn funny, and I am going to laugh everytime I see it. Is it strawberry season already!? I'll be making jam, too, so I also can be special! :)

ljm said...

Weird...I can see your pics on Mozilla no problem...do you have a slower connection, Lori? Although that doesn't really make sense, does it?(see, I must defend Mozilla at all costs!)

ljm said...

Ah yes, I see what you mean about your profile thing...weird! Why can't these browsers all get along?