Saturday, June 17, 2006

Oriental Slaw

I just wanted to share my latest favorite recip which came from my sister-in-law, Meridith. LOVE IT SO BAD! It makes a perfect potluck dish to pass or hot summer day meal...

1 16oz. package of coleslaw mix (about 5 cups)
4 green onions, thinly sliced
3 3oz. package oriental flavored Ramen noodles, broken up
3/4 c. sliced almonds, toasted
3/4 c. seasame seeds, toasted
1/2 c. salad oil
1/3 c. white vinegar
1/2 c. sugar
1/8 t. pepper

Up to 1 hour before serving (I have gotten away with doing it the night before), combine coleslaw mix, green onions, Ramen noodles (save seasoning-mix packets for the dressing), almonds and seasame seeds in a salad bowl. Cover and chill.

In a screw top jar combine oil, vinegar, sugar, pepper and seasoning-mix from the packages of noodles. Cover and shake. Chill.

At serving time, shake dressing again, pour over salad and toss to coat.

I have stirred in some grilled chicken breast and/or broccoli and carrots for a tasty little variation. I have also improvised a bit when I was lacking the full amount of an ingredient called for and it has turned out delicious every time. I think I liked it best when I used napa cabbage instead of the standard slaw mix you buy in a bag. And one note of caution: make sure that at least one other person in your household intends to help you eat it because devouring the whole batch in one weekend doesn't fit so well into most diet plans.

6 comments:

ljm said...

hey, I commented on this last night but it must not have gone through...anyway, looks good and I always love a new recipe--thanks, will try.

Loreo said...

I love you even if you don't like my caliente chicken! This slaw I have made and love, too! Keep sharing!

hesper48 said...

I'm going to have to try this, too Janelle! I'm on a new salad recipes kick myself! I have every Taste of Home and Quick Cooking book there is and have begun going through and starring ones in the index I want to try. Great for breaking up the "lettuce, tomato, cucumber, green pepper" boring scenario!
Craig told me I should chk out your recipes!

Anonymous said...

Very good slaw. I enjoyed it Thursday. Thank you for making it for me. It was tasty, even without the chicken....maybe it was the cheap, bulk sesame seeds. Good deals alwus make things taste better.

Anonymous said...

You can also add Craisins and sunflowers seeds.

JJ said...

Yeah, like if you wanted to throw UP! =) Thanks for posting, anonymous poster person,

I can't eat sunflower seeds or by-products without thinking of the time back in the early 80's when mucho cases of fake-me-out peanut butter made of sunflower seeds somehow fell to our parents' lot. Even now my stomach does a little flippity flop at the mere thought of ingesting it. I can seriously hardly even swallow.

But for those of you who don't have that little hang-up, sunflower seeds might prove to be a tasty variation.