Friday, January 30, 2009

Kool Aid

I love learning new words. Always have. I have subscribed to Webster.com's word of the day. I grew up with It Pays to Enrich Your Word Power. I keep a notepad handy when reading anything, and frequently make mental notes throughout my day of words and pop culture phrases to dissect and define at a later time. Trashy as it may be, a richly valuable resource I have repeatedly referred to is urbandictionary.com. Just yesterday I was baffled when I heard "kool aid" used in a context which sounded very much as if it meant someone's girlfriend. So quickly I hit the bookmarked site to discover that indeed...

Kool aid: In the deepest parts of the hood--can be meant as a metaphor for someone's personal business...A man's personal business. Specifically his girl.

"You best be steppin' off! Why you all up in my kool aid
?"..."Back off my kool aid!"

I likely will never have occasion to use this gem, but at least now I know.

4 comments:

Daughter of Divagation said...

Is that sort of like, "I am going to get your stuff?"

JJ said...

I think it is akin.

Anonymous said...

Is that kind of like "Git out my S*#@"? I wonder if that is what the masculine half of the african-american pregnant lesbian couple meant when she was shouting it at us.
AM

JJ said...

I smack bof ya'll!