Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Distilled Goodness

U.S. News and World Report suggests keeping a simple diary as #20 in the "50 Ways to Improve Your Life in 2009" cover story.

"Distill your day's experiences into a single sentence each day. Call it a "clothes hanger" journal: It provides a framework on which to hang the larger raiments of memory. A few well-chosen words can transport you back to where you were days or years ago. And-if you're persistent-it can show you the shape of your life over time."

I absolutely adore this idea! Unfortunately since I am not and never will be a woman of few words, and because I have so much clutter littering my mental landscape, and because so much happens in a "typical" day this task seems overwhelmingly daunting.

So yesterday's distilled entry could have read something like this, "Detroit is a scary place and I am glad I do not have to live there or get accosted by the butch half of an African-American pregnant lesbian couple or the the socket wrench-wielding man at the stoplight."

If I could condense it further, and if I were a better word weaver, perhaps I could find a way to also include that I really enjoy days that my mother keeps David; I don't enjoy cleansing melted chocolate from the entire contents of my purse, including my iPod, in a public restroom; I wish someone would just confess to putting their fundraiser packet in the fridge in order to ensure it grabbed my attention fully; Enchilada soup isn't nearly as good in the crockpot; and that was a reeeeeeally good book I started reading before bed last night.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did that stuff in Detroit happen to you or was that something that happened to someone else?!

tmf

ljm said...

Were you at the auto show or sumpin?

Lori said...

mmmmmm....chocolate ipods :)
By the way, the reason you're not on Facebook would be......(answer: Sir, no excuse, Sir!!) Get thee to Facebook! (Please?)

JJ said...

Tara: Yes, it was me...all me...and Amy! We were verbally assaulted by said scary monster, but luckily it stopped there.

Liane: Uh huh, das right!

Lori: Chocolate on anything when you're in a public restroom is kaa-KAA! Facebook: just taking a break.

Daughter of Divagation said...

Are you AA? You home-schooled grammarian, you.

I want to school you in COMPOUND words.

Daughter of Divagation said...

P.S. My one sentence for yesterday would go something like this:

Hope at last, hope at last.

Shari said...

Whats the book?