Sunday, June 10, 2007

Rosa

My son Andrew is a quietly funny boy, not unlike his father. A touch dry, but richly witty, they never miss a chance to interject humor into the otherwise mundane routine of life, without ever drawing much attention to themselves in so doing. Often those outside of their immediate surroundings miss the punchline altogether.

My brother met my husband before I did and came home late one evening to report that he had met the man I was going to marry. When pressed for an explanation, I don't remember much he offered aside from the fact that he had been in the Army and that he was funny..."a Johnny S. in the making" said he. (I assume everyone knows which Johnny I mean, but ask me if you don't.) I was undazzled by his veteran experience, but as for the humor, I knew exactly what he was talking about as soon as I met him a few weeks later. And I knew right then and there I wanted him to father all of my funny children. Okay, not really, but it was truly impressive. He still puts me to shame even on an off day.

All this to say that last night the girls wanted to set up TV trays to doodle upon whilst watching television on the couch. Julia was able to set hers up and get rolling on her own, but Kathryn asked and asked and asked for someone to help her. I was busy with the baby so I asked Andrew to please get her a TV tray. Obediently, he hopped to retrieve it and returned to set it up for her in the very spot he had already been comfortably sitting in. Ever so quietly he said, "I'm giving up my seat...unlike Rosa Parks."

Okay, maybe it's only funny to his mother, but it just struck me so funny and made me thankful that 1) he was paying attention in 4th grade Social Studies and 2) that one of our children has been blessed with a sense of humor...either you got it or you don't...we can spend half an hour telling one of our other children why something is supposed to be funny and she'll still ask with much bewilderment, "But why did you say that?"

Yes, my blog is almost exclusively about my children. And no, I have not lost my identity entirely. If you don't enjoy it, the door is right over there. Thank you, come again! =)

13 comments:

Booker said...

hahahaa....

Claire said...

That is truly impressive as well as hilarious - a culturally literate joke!

Daughter of Divagation said...

Ummmm...yeeah.

New post, please.

xoxox

Lori said...

I love it. I would be SO PROUD of a kid that can make that kind of quip, just in passing. AWESOME! Ommmm....sorry, but who's Johnny S.? And I'm pretty amazed that your brother knew who you were going to MARRY before you had even seen him!!

Anonymous said...

Charlie is wiser than I. My money was on you and Dave D.

Daughter of Divagation said...

My money was on Bubby.

Bubby, he needs a good wife.

JJ said...

Bubby Dickie or Crash Helmet Bubby? They both needed good wives.

Good times!

Anonymous said...

Either of the Dickie brothers...equally a good catch.

Daughter of Divagation said...

Bubby Crash Hell-mutt, of course.

JJ said...

I try not to think of what might have been, cause that was then and we have taken different roads...=)

(It's a song, peoples, lest anyone think I am for serious. Perish that thought!)

Lori, Johnny S is Johnny who is son of Joy...a funny cousin of mine? Ring any bells?

JJ said...

We can't go back again, there's no use givin' in, and there's no way to knoooooooooow what might have been.

Siiiiiiiigh. =)

Anonymous said...

Stop it man, you're making me all weepy with your lyrics! Thinking of the MANY lost loves...one true loves of yesterday. Particularly Gruugg H, Meesa Hamilton, Bandy B...
Now get back to work on your garage sale. It's going to take you several days just to erect the three racks!

kw said...

Wit begets wit and so on it goes....I love the way you say 'whilst'... I can't get over how they say it here.