Thursday, January 24, 2008

Prescription Shoes

I have reached the age where shoes matter. Not so much for fashion purposes, but for supporting my achy breaky hooves. And back. For years Jeff has been warning me that all my flip-flop and casual archless slip-on shoe wearing would eventually catch up with me. I have not disagreed, but also have not taken appropriate measures to prevent this from happening. And well, now that I am getting on in years, it is happening.

Our house has been a shoe-free zone since we got married. It was a foreign concept to me and it took me a while to acclimate to this Jackson custom, but it works for our family and I reap the benefits, most days, except for on especially productive days when I actually STAY on my feet all day. Lately I have spent some long days in the kitchen in my stocking feet and they just can't take it any more. Later the same night, but especially the next morning, I struggle to walk. My tarsals ache, my ankles ache...my dogs are barkin'! Owwww!

So I went shopping this week and bought some new boy kickers, as my sister would say, after Jeff threatened to have the real-live horseshoer who attends our small group fashion me some proper shoes.

Among other things, I did find some nice SLIP-ON sneakers that are very comfy and cushiony and archy. I am just not a sneaker wearing kind of girl, but I bought them to only wear around the house, which has NOT gone unnoticed by my second generation no-shoes-in-the-house children, I might add.

So when I picked the kids up from the bus that afternoon in my snow boots and we came back home, Andrew spotted my new shoes sitting by the door and asked, "Whose orthopedic shoes?"

I don't know if I will be able to survive having a sarcastic pre-teen in the house. It's like looking in the mirror. For all those who are reading and knew me in my younger years and longed for the day my time would come, IT HAS COME! Not only do I have to deal with the likes of my very own mini-me, daily, I also have to wear orthopedic shoes. Sweet vengeance is upon me.

The next morning he asked me, "So, are you still so psyched about your new orthopedic shoes?"

Yes, I am.

7 comments:

ljm said...

Ha,ha! Have to say it...Bless your bunions!

kw said...

What a chip! Off the old block that is:)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I actually had to wear prescription shoes when I was little...and look how I turned out.

I don't like not wearing shoes and take pride in having the most ridiculous pair wherever I go.

~Loven

Lori said...

Psyched about the ol orthopedic shoes!!!? Ha ha!! Smart mouths beget smart mouths, don't they!

Shari said...

I did not know you when you were younger but I do know this - Andrew is definitely a mini-you. Riot.

Anonymous said...

Try freezing a bottle of water, and rolling the bottoms of your feet on it for 20 minutes a day for three to four weeks--remarkable results!

kw said...

At least with the right footwear, you're less likely to find yourself crying "Help, I've fallen and can't get up"...