Monday, October 29, 2007

Laughter

One of the things that impressed me first about the Jackson family was their ability to laugh. At each other. At themselves. At life. They are fun people to be around. You never have to worry about what to talk about. There is no social anxiety. They are relaxed and they make you feel relaxed. In my life I have observed few, if any, other families with this unique ability.

At first glance, one could speculate that the only reason they could possibly be this light-hearted is because their lives were easy, that they have never known true sorrow, loss, or disappointment. But after knowing them for 15 1/2 years, I know this has not been the case.

Not including the devastating news of this weekend, they have known heartache, though never to this degree, but heartache nonetheless. They have known brokenness. They have known suffering. They have known hardship. They have known disappointment. Life has not always been ideal. Yet they have remained not bitter, and still able to laugh. And most importantly, they have demonstrated again and again how they will not allow family difficulties to destroy their family spirit.

Friday and Saturday were among the darkest days of my life, and I am just a lowly in-law. I can only imagine the grief that they were feeling. Together we cried more tears than I have seen in all the years I have been a Jackson. Several boxes of tissues were emptied. Shoulders were soaked. At times there was wailing. At times there was silence. At times there was quiet thanksgiving and reflection upon a good, blessing-filled life and what the future might hold. And the tears would fall once again.

But then Sunday came and the family came together with a purpose in true Jackson form. We had some birthdays that needed celebrating and there were to be no tears allowed!

All 24 of us gathered at our house and did what we do best, and not a single tear was shed.

I am proud to be a Jackson.

(Blogger is giving me fits as I try to post some photos of the day. Maybe later.)

3 comments:

Shari said...

The Jacksons are blessed to have you as their daughter and sister (even if its in-law). I'm praying for strength, wisdom and guidance for the Jacksons from our Lord in this time of great sorrow.

lis said...

Our family prayed for you and your mom-in-law today. Been thinking about you....wondered, too, if you might like to see the quote from CS Lewis that I just posted on Kerri's blog.

This is from The Magician's Nephew, where Digory is talking to Aslan:

"'But please, please - won't you - can't you give me something that will cure Mother?'

Up till then he had been looking at the Lion's great feet and the huge claws on them; now, in his despair, he looked up at its face. What he saw surprised him as much as anything in his whole life. For the tawny face was bent down near his own and (wonder of wonders) great shining tears stood in the Lion's eyes. They were such big, bright tears compared with Digory's own that for a moment he felt as if the Lion must really be sorrier about his Mother than he was himself.

'My son, my son,' said Aslan. 'I know. Grief is great. Only you and I in this world know that yet. Let us be good to one another.'"

Love from our side of the ocean!

JJ said...

Thank you, both!

Excellent stuff, Lisa!