Thursday, July 20, 2006

Breakfast Suppers

I love breakfast suppers. There is something that is so comforting about them to me. Yes, I am an emotional eater. Anyway, I would have at least one a week if it were up to me. Oh yeah, it is up to me and so we usually do have at least one every other week. Eggs and hashbrowns or waffles or pancakes or breakfast casseroles, but always with some complementary juicy pork product to accompany the main dish and round out our fat intake in the event that it had been running dangerously low that day.

Tonight was the night. I made homemade waffles with the Hazen family recipe and then tried this nifty idea that Amy sent me just this morning that involves boiling eggs in a bag to make individual omelettes. I was a little leary of the idear at first, but I thought the kids would enjoy making their own so I gave it a whirl and they were surprisingly tasty, but best of all they were ready all at the same time.

All you do is take quart size zip-loc freezer bags and write each person's name on them with permanent marker. Each person cracks not more than 2 eggs into their bag, drops in prepared ingredients of choice, and then shakes to combine. After blended, be sure to get all the air out of the bag and then zip it up and drop it into rolling boiling water for exactly 13 minutes and then dump it out onto your plate and gobble it up as fast as you can before anyone axes you to share.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, whoever that Amy girl is...she has some wicked good ideas. You're lucky to have her as your friend.
I'm pleased it worked for your family's bretfest supper. I'm making them this weekend at Sandy Pines. Should be good for camping. Ummm, by the way...you are allowed to make the Hazen family waffle recipe only when I am there. Such good memories...waking up Saturday morning to waffles after a long night of making prank calls to boys who didn't know we existed. "May I speak to Mesa please?" How I miss adolescence! Good times.

JJ said...

Ahhhh...those grand and glorious wonder years!

"You don't know who this is? I can't believe you don't even know who this is! This is worse than Black Monday!"

Who knew we would turn out so well? We are a couple of high-class broads and we owe it all to Elwin's Sabbath day waffles.

ljm said...

Um...I thought maybe Amy was losing it when I got that egg idea--sounds like a horrible joke...Thanks for bravely trying it out. Good to know these things!
You succeeded in making me very hungry, anyway.